Anxiety and fearful thoughts are not new to modern life, and we see that many of the characters in the Bible suffered with anxiety. None more so than David, and in the Psalms we get a window into the struggles, fears and anxieties he faced and how he constantly sought to pour his heart out to the Lord.
Here are 10 passages in the Bible which can help you focus your heart on Jesus, the one who lay soundly asleep in the boat – with full trust and assurance in his Father, when the storm raged about him. (Matthew 8)
You can also download these two free hand lettered Bible verse postcards to print out and display where you can be reminded of them, or you can send them to a friend.
- So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
- Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honour depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. (Psalm 62:5-8)
- When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise—in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me? (Psalm 56:3-4)
- Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27)
- But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
- The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)
- May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)
- He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. (Psalm 91:4)
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)
- Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)